Choosing the right garage door size can be very frustrating if you don't know all the facts, as doors often come in different materials, colors, shapes, and sizes. Here are ways to choose the perfect size for your property.
Getting to Know your Garage Space
Are you framing an existing garage opening or are you building a completely new shed with a garage door? Think about what you need to know about your garage before you look through the catalogs to choose mahogany or cedar, for example. It is also important to know how to measure a garage door
so that you can make better decisions and avoid problems.
Measuring your Garage Door
Measuring the space the door needs to fill is the easiest way to finding out the perfect size for your property and needs. If you’re yet to purchase a door and want to know the right size, follow these steps:
● Measure the width and height of the door opening. This defines the required door size.
● Measure the distance on the left and right of the door opening from the inside.
● Measure the space above your head. This is the length from the garage door ceiling to the top edge of the door opening. This is an important measure to consider, as different openers and springs require different amounts of space.
● Measure the backroom or the depth of the area. This is the distance from the garage door opening to the back or back of the garage or the nearest obstacle.
● Consider the base. A clean and even floor in the garage is a plus, otherwise, you may need to invest more to level the garage before installing the garage door.
Single garage door
When it comes to your standard home, individual garage doors are the perfect size for you. You can fit through most vans, cars and standard SUVs, and small trucks. If you have a larger truck or SUV, consider a larger overhead.
When deciding on the right garage door size for you, think about the dimensions. Typically, they are 8X7, 9X7 and 10X7 feet. Remember to also factor in what your priority needs are for the garage door type and size you’re choosing. If you have a larger truck or SUV, for example, consider larger overhead doors, such as double garage doors.
Double Garage Doors
Double garage doors are designed for homeowners with many vehicles or for those who need more garage space. Double doors offer space for larger vehicles and can also be used for storage. When choosing the right garage door size, consider the length of the vehicle and the dimensions of the double garage door, which are usually 16 x 7 feet, 14 x 7 feet and 12 x 7 feet. If you are thinking about storing motorhomes or boats, consider the size of the garage door for motorhomes.
RV Garage Doors
The standard size for motorhome garage doors is 16 feet by 8 feet wide and 9 feet high at the ceiling. They differ significantly from the standard sizes of single/double garage doors. When building a new space for a home or business, you need to consider what you will use the garage space for. Do you only store a motorhome? Or maybe you have to store other things?
Commercial Garage Doors
Finally, there are commercial garage doors. The standard size of a commercial garage door is usually 32 feet x 2 inches wide and 24 feet x 1 inches high, but it depends on what is going to be in the garage. Your business trucks must fit in them as well as other possible business items.
With these few tips, choosing the right garage door size doesn't have to be a problem.