Alcohol problems in the UK are on the rise. With over half of us enjoying a tipple on a weekly basis, more and more people are seeing that develop into problems with alcohol and more and more people enter rehab.
centres such as Sanctuary Lodge are seeing more and more people come through their door to try and get sober from addiction, but the problem is much more widespread than that, particularly following the pandemic in which many people upped their consumption of alcohol, and in particular women
But the question is, do you have a problem?
Well, a new test published by Alcoholics Anonymous will help you determine that. The test, which only requires yes or no answers, is designed to tell you where your relationship with alcohol stands. So, take the test and see what you think…
1. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
2. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
6. Do you drink alone?
7. Have you lost time from work due to drinking?
8. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
9. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
10. Is drinking jeopardising your job or business?
11. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
12. Are you in financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
13. Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking?
14. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
15. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
16. Do you want a drink the next morning?
17. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
18. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
19. Has your doctor ever treated you for drinking?
20. Have you ever been in hospital or prison because of drinking?
So, how many yeses did you make? If you answered all nos, then it’s very likely you don’t have a problem with alcohol. However, just one yes could mean that there is a chance you have a problem with alcohol.
Two questions answered yes means that there’s a high chance you are an alcoholic, while three or more suggests you almost certainly are an alcoholic and perhaps should address your relationship with the substance.
Of course, there’s plenty of help out there for you to receive addiction treatment and across the country there are dozens of centres to check into and help you begin that process towards sobriety.